mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
00  Month

Councillors to vote whether to pay themselves £96k

Created on 31/05/2017 @ 09:20
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Welshpool Town Council will tonight decide whether to pay councillors expenses of up to £96,000 in the coming year – and the money would have to come from your council tax.

In a move by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales, councillors across Wales are entitled to an unlimited financial loss allowance, as well as being reimbursed the costs of care while they are attending meetings for a dependent child or adult of up to £403 a month.

If approved by the Town Council it could cost the council £96,376 in the coming year according to a report prepared by Town Clerk Robert Robinson - which would mean a substantial increase in council tax.

New measures being put to tonight’s meeting of the town council includes £500 for up to three members with special responsibilities – for example a committee chair, as well as councillors being able to claim a loss of earnings for any meetings they've attended.

The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales in an independent body appointed by Welsh Ministers to decide what payments members of county councils, town and community councils are entitled to receive.

Sara Parry, a spokeswoman for Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales, said: "Community and town councils have been able to decide to make payments since 2013. Community and town councillors have important roles and people who willingly give up their time to serve their local community should not be out of pocket.

"The allowances are there to encourage a diverse range of people to participate in local democracy, and to reflect the responsibilities of holding public office – some town and community councils have significant assets and run local services.

"Community and town councils are best placed to decide what is affordable and what will best support their members to carry out their duties. Individuals members are able to decline to claim any allowance, even if the council decides to pay them."


icnn logo