mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
00  Month

Welshpool stumped by travel mix-up

Created on 20/09/2010 @ 14:42
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend


A communications mix-up resulted in Welshpool's crucial Shropshire Division One match with Frankton being delayed for 24 hours.
Welshpool, needing a win to stay out of the relegation places, travelled across the border but their opponents thought the match was in Mid Wales and came the other way with the mix-up only being realised on their respective arrivals.
The game was delayed until yesterday (Sunday) when Welshpool slumped to a losing draw which means they are five points adrift of third-from-bottom Condover with one match to play.
Frankton set a meager target of 139-7, but Welshpool also found runs hard to come by and batted out their overs on 98-8 for a share of the points as their fate hangs on this weekend’s final game of the season.
Montgomery moved into a comfortable mid-table position with a resounding eight-wicket victory at home to high flying Wroxeter.
Ed Davies was the chief destroyer with five wickets to restrict the second placed side to 140 all out. In reply, Montgomery cruised to victory for the loss of just two wickets with Aaron Ruffcock unbeaten on 68 and Andrew Barker finishing not out on 25.

In Division Four, Montgomery II threw themselves a league lifeline with a winning draw at Pontesbury II. John Barker (83) and Jonathan Williams (40) saw the visitors through to 216 but despite Mark Cadwallader’s five-wicket haul, the hosts held out for a losing draw on 157-9. The results gives Montgomery 18  points, but not enough to guarantee survival in Division Four.
In Division Five, Welshpool II pulled off a remarkable victory despite being bowled out for 77 on a treacherous wicket.
Opener Dave Whitehouse carried his bat for 24 but was black and blue returning to the clubhouse. Tom Anderson added a steady 11. In reply, Steve Monk returned an exceptional five-wicket spell and Rupert Redway took two as the hosts were whittled out for 72.
In Division Six, Guilsfield face a nail biting end to the season after putting themselves right back in the promotion chase with a dramatic two-run victory over Worfield III.
Captain Sam Griffiths (right) led the charge with a fine all-round performance, top scoring with 23 as his side stumbled to 90 all out with only Dave Harris (16) also reaching double figures.
In reply, an aggressive attack saw wickets for Griffiths (3-15), Dan Brown (3-19) and Matt Jones (3-9) before Griffiths took the crucial final catch off Harris’s bowling to secure victory and a step into the promotion places.


icnn logo